How difficult it is to make people especially kids eat and appreciate healthy foods?. Yes! Very difficult. ‘If its healthy it will taste bad’ is the inside joke in my family.
Sprouts! Full of health and nutrition. Packed with all the vital nutrients, it’s an wholesome food. Though I prefer sprouts in salads, the kids in my family make all sorts of faces to eat it. But add it in a spicy gravy, and people end up licking their fingers.
This curry is fantastic side dish to chapatis, rotis and even rice. I had used green & black chickpeas, whole green gram,(green moong) and a few kidney beans too. You can use any available legume at your house. It takes around three days for sprouts to appear in chickpeas. As green moong sprouts faster, I soaked them only for one day.
How to make chickpeas sprouts:
Wash and clean the chickpeas two or three times and soak in water. Make sure you use a big wide bowl. After 12 hours , discard the water and cover the bowl with a wet cloth. Leave it undisturbed for a day. Check it from time to time but do not disturb the peas. By the third day tiny/medium sized sprouts will appear. Same procedure for green gram. Only it doesn’t take this long. Usually It sprouts within 24 hours..
Now let’s get started with the Curry recipe:
Two cups mixed sprouts
One potato boiled and roughly chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
3-4 cubes of paneer (optional)
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp jeera (cumin) seeds
1-2 Red Chillis
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
Oil for tempering
Salt to taste
- Boil the sprouts and potatoes until they are tender and soft.
- In a pan,heat a little oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and red chillis and allow them to crackle.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add onions and cook them till they turn translucent.
- Add all the dry spice powders(turmeric, coriander & chilli)and mix it well.
- Add tomatoes and tomato purée and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes,sprouts and salt. Mix it well and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add water if you want it in a gravy consistency.
- Add paneer (cottage cheese) and lemon juice and tenderly mix it all together.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis or rice.